Construction imagesChurch History

History of Our Church

 

In 1865 to 1868 the religiously inclined people of the village of Topton and vicinity, including parts of Longswamp Township came to the conclusion that thier religious and church facilities were too remote and inconvenient. For this purpose seven persons gathered to organize a Sunday School. Thier place of meeting was on the second floor of a leather store.

 

After having to move twice due to the lack of space, in 1869, it was decided to erect an independent school building known as "Excelsior Subscription School." No school was ever held in the building, but it was used to house the Sunday School and later the church. Land at the corner of Cherry and Franklin Streets was donated and on October 29, 1871 the church was organized as St. Peter's Union Church, with Rev. A. J Herman as the Reformed pastor and Rev. B.E. Kramlich as the Lutheran pastor.

 

A congregational meeting of the Lutheran Church was held February 12, 1912. At this meeting a motion was made to apply for a charter to incorporate the congregation. Through the efforts of the Ladies' Mite Society, substantial sums were paid toward defraying expenses of the church. The cost of incorporation was $29.62, which was raised by general subscription. The date of incorporation was April 1, 1912 and the name changed to Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church.

 

The first Lutheran Choir was organized January 1914

The first meeting of the Lutheran Sunday School was held January 25th, there were 123 in attendance and the collection amounted to $8.52.

 

May 8, 1912 the congregation voted unanimously to buy a lot at the corner of Smith and Peach Streets (now Home Avenue). On February 23, 1915, in the presence of over a hundred people, the ground was broken for the building of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. The cornerstone was laid on June 13, 1915. About 400 people gathered for the service.

 

On September 24, 1916, the church was dedicated.

 

For more information about Trinity's history, contact Larry Werst 610.682.6680, to arrange a visit of our History Room located on the 3rd floor.

 

© 2017 Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community